Thursday, March 7, 2019

Marketing at Munoz Market


A sort of telescope or cone shell which I was surprised was edible, but I was not adventurous 
Seaweeds, sometimes called
 lato or ararusip  
Alamang, looks like we will be
our own  bagoong
Ever since I transferred houses, it has been quite a while since I visited Munoz Market.  I love going there just to buy a few fish and seafood items as our new neighborhood talipapa has limited fare.  Today a Wednesday, it looks like seafood abound despite being the middle of the week. I found some unusual shellfish but was afraid to try, so we stuck it out with the usual suspects, tulingan, squid and tahong.

Fare in the veggie section e in the veggie section

The worm-like alukon
Alukon in pinakbet
On the other side of the seafood section was the vegetables area.  In the sea of common produce I found some kadios and alukon.  I do not remember anymore what month alukon usually comes out, as alukon is the male flowers of the himbabao tree or Broussonetia luzonica, and it has a flowering season.  What I could remember though is how closely it resembles cauliflower in taste.  When I first tasted alukon, it was cooked in the austere-reputed  dish  diningding (did I say that right, Ilocanos?).  

I missed eating baked tahong!
We cooked alukon tonight before it dries up or wilt completely. We also prepared the tahong two ways, in curry and baked with a little butter.   I would also have to find a good recipe without pork to cook the kadios in the next few days. Any suggestions? I would have liked it the Negrosense way with pork in soy sauce but would have to stick to the healthy diet.  

No comments: