Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Sweet Smelling Kamuning

Just a quick post! I saw our kamuning in bloom today. No, this is not the first time it flowered. In fact it flowers quite regularly. But this is just one of those special days that I really stopped to smell 'dem flowers. What a wonderful plant to take for granted.

Kamuning is Murraya paniculata. It is quite well known in tropical gardens and in the bonsai hobby. It is known to foreigners as orange jasmine, a little irony because it is not actually related to the genus Jasminum which carries most of the true jasmine species. It is related closer to oranges though so half of its common name is true. That is why the smell of the kamuning flower is similar to the smell of Citrus flowers, so sweet with a hint of pungent flavor. Kamuning is also closely associated with Murraya koenigii, a source of the curry spice. I am not sure though if kamuning has some gastronomic use as most of its edible cousins.

6 comments:

Wayfarer on the sidestreet said...

we usually use the leaves for flower arrangements. i haven't seen a kamuning fruit.

doray1958 said...

Bought a young kamuning from my favorite Manila Seedling Bank day before it was demolished. The kamuning fragrance will remind me of the bottomless greed of some people.

Anonymous said...

Can it be used near the beach? Is It salt tolerant?

Unknown said...

i have one right in front of my bedroom window.... when it is in bloom... the sweet scent fills my room and even the whole house.... so refreshing and the scent is just so amazing!!! I LOVE IT!!!

CHASE, Love Warrior said...

I wonder if one blooming season would be enough for me to gather enough number of flowers to extract the scent. It would be nice if someone could develop a product from this unassuming tree.

Unknown said...

We have some tree here in zambales how much the price per tree? #pls contact me 09382933761