Sunday, March 3, 2013

Battle of the Small Schefflera Species

Every now and then I get to see new Schefflera species and varieties and I always get surprised that some of the nice ones are Philippine native.  One of the most beautiful I have seen is Schefflera albido-bracteata or the starshine and yes, it too is Philippine native and propagated (but still rare). It has nice long slender puckered leaflets. Most propagated Scheffleras I have seen fairly large compound leaves but sometimes small leafed species pop in the landscaping scene. 
I saw this Schefflera last year at the Los Banos Garden show.  It looks similar to what was identified in Madulid's book as Cephaloschefflera blancoi. It has graceful leaf grwoth and fine flower sprays.  
Five years ago, the smallest Schefflera I know is something to what is labeled in Dr. Madulid's Ornamental Plant Pictorial-cyclopedia as Cephaloschefflera blancoi. But in the recent years a few more fine leaves ones emerged in the market.  They are claimed to be Philippine native but not yet commonly grown.  They are as follows:   
This Schefflera is growing nicely in the landscapes of Ayala Tower One in Makati.  My friend Mike Asinas said that the supplier was claiming it is a native species.  But it still has to be confirmed.  It looks like a small version of the non native Schefflera arboricola.  
I thought this was the smallest Philippine species as it was named as Schefflera microphylla or small-leafed Schefflera.  It grows in the rocky mountains of Zambales at high humidity areas. 
The smallest species I have seen so far is this one, sold by a stall in Centris a few years back. A plant expert said it grows in high elevation and humidity in the mountains of Northern Luzon. Not sure if it can thrive in hot and dry Manila.
  

3 comments:

Scratch Paper said...

Hi Sir.
Do you still do TreeTalks TreeWalks at Diliman Campus? I would like to request again for my cwts students--my email: j.aleta.villanueva@upou.edu.ph

Thanks...

fmm said...

Asked specifically if he has told the front office he won't waive the no trade clause, Anthony said: "No, like I told you all before, nothing came to me, nothing came to my table for me to look at. Sitabhra Sinha of the Institute of Mathematical Sciences in Chennai said he expected the impact of the lockdown to become visible in the next couple of days.

I always kind of feel like I have that in my pocket when I go in a room. He assembled tribute albums, featuring a range of cult starsand, Cheap Nike Air Force 1 occasionally, superstarsperforming the songbooks New Air Jordan Shoes of such heroes as Thelonious Monk, Charles Coach Outlet Clearance Mingus, Kurt Weill and the Italian composer Nino Rota. Jordan Shoes For Sale

They appreciate other cultures and seek a peaceful co existence. Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale The room started spinning and swirled into black. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local..

You can now miss an unlimited amount of school and still pass your classes as long as you pass the assessments. If you had been there you would have thought that was the last thing on anyone's mind. The White Sox activated right hander Miguel Gonzalez (strained right groin) MK Outlet from the DL.

Bush ever had Air Force 1 In Store in the two theaters. WASHINGTON Sen. 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. When he left for the Bucs, it elevated Jarrett Stidham to the first line of the New England depth chart at QB. I heard the grocery store shelves were bare. A Yeezy Shoes For Sale health professional at 811 will give you advice and instructions..

initialvin said...

Hello, do you have any idea of the picture ID? Thank you