Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Natural Raincoat

Natural raincoat
This palm has a very wide leaf!
Quick Post: On one of our roadtrips to Laguna and Quezon, we passed by this farmer sporting a unique garment, and I cannot  resist to stop and take pictures. Good thing the man agreed. He had on an all-natural raincoat! It is basically a one-large leaf of a fan-shape palm (probably buri or Corypha elata). I am sure it did not cost much to make as it appeared to have simple construction and stitching, but it is definitely high on points for creativity and of course very environmentally friendly!

Incidentally buri palms appear to still be quite common in the landscapes of Laguna and Quezon. We passed several stands of it on our way to Lucena. Quite fascinating, the plant much like the raincoat!


1 comment:

CLOTHHAVEN said...

Hello,
This is Edith Cheung from Hong Kong requesting the use of photos from your
website We have such a hat within the 120 hats donated by one
person, but with little information. I have searched high and low and your photos are the only detailed one with the rain cape. ( I found one in a book titled Philippine Basketry, pg 118) I am writingto request use of the photos from your website to be used in
the exhibition and catalogue, and if you would be kind enough to send me high resolution ones.I am working with a very small budget, so
it would be highly appreciated if there would be no charges,
but do let me know if you would like to be compensated and
the amount. I will have to see what I can do. Please also
let me know how you would like to be credited.
Looking forward to hearing from you
soon. Best
Edith Cheung